Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tribute to my grandmother, Cristobel Blake (April 17, 1920- February 20, 2010)

Last night, after coming back from Gibraltar, I received word that my maternal grandmother had past away a few hours earlier. I went from an absolute high to an absolute low. To be honest, I am still processing it all. But I just want to honor her life by inserting a snippet on my blog celebrating who she was.


My grandmother, Cristobel Blake, lived in St. Kitts (where I was born) for her entire life. She was one of the hardest working people I knew. She was always in good spirits, always on the go and had a great sense of humor. I found myself reminiscing about all the trips to St. Kitts my family and I would take. For many years my grandma had her own corner shop and so all kinds of people from the neighborhood would come by not only to buy something, they would all stop and chit-chat with her. Of course, as grandchildren, she always gave my sisters and I whatever we asked for. I miss her food too! She would always try to fatten me up :) She made the best saltfish patties and sugar cakes in the world! (For my West Indian readers, you know what I mean).

It's hard being so far away from your family when this is all happening. I've been calling home on Skype to make sure everyone was doing okay. I was most worried about my mom. I think she is holding up okay, but she's seems preocupied about all the preparations and about making the trip all the way from Omaha to St. Kitts for the funeral.

How am I holding up? Well, I will say this: the thing that keeps me going is the fact that I know that she lived a full and long life. She was 89 years old and would have turned 90 in April. But above all, I know that she is now at peace in heaven with the Lord. That is what comforts me.

She was truly a great woman. May she rest in peace.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this. Mu condolences to you and your family. It's wonderful that you chose to honor her in this way. It is so beautiful that she lived such a long and full life, something we can all only pray for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Danielle. I really appreciate your kind words. God truly blessed her with long life and I am glad she's now in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teljer, as always, my thoughts and prayers are still with your family. Praying and knowing that God will touch broken hearts, and use this difficult time to bring you all closer together in Him. Love you.

    ReplyDelete