Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ahora soy "Malagueña"

I survived my first week! So much has happened and I must say that I am starting to feel more like una malagueña. Two important things we needed to do this week were to go to a local bank to open accounts (since we're going to be here for so long) and to buy an unlimited monthly bus pass. It all made me feel so...official. The bus pass will be invaluable. It will save me a ton of money since we take the bus everywhere. The city is pretty spread out, but unlike Atlanta, the bus system here is pretty intricate and you can get around just fine without a car.


Meanwhile, I have been busy getting to know the city and taking some more pictures (I need to put that bus pass to use!). Some of you may not know this, but I'm a closet photographer - I LOVE taking pictures. I especially love taking pictures of things/places that have historical significance (nerdy, I know!). As I travel throughout Spain, I will be sure to share pictures of all the places that I visit.

As promised, I have pics of my new room. I moved in on Monday and when I entered the door it was a breath of fresh air (literally. Aquí no se puede fumar). And my roommates are all so awesome! One of them is, Liza, is from Argentina and the other three are from nearby areas. Only I would come all the way to Spain and make friends with someone from Latin America :) I think this move was great for me because eventhough my roommates are studying hard for finals, they still take time to knock on my door just to say hi, which I absolutely love. We often have our meals together downstairs in the dining room. I've also been busy giving my room the "Teljer Touch" so by popular demand, here are the before and after pictures. I feel relieved now that I've finally settled into my new room and have unpacked. I just hate that "I'm on vacation" feeling that you get when you're living out of a suitcase or when you haven't personalized your room. Moreover, since I am going to be here for 6 months I wanted to make it feel like home.

This study abroad trip is like a dream come true for me. I am in my zone, my happy place. I am surrounded by Spanish speakers, rich culture and endless possibilities for learning and growing, both intellectually and personally. Of course I don't expect for everything to be perfect at every single moment, but I have already made up my mind to enjoy this trip despite any possible mishaps. For those of you who have thought about studying abroad, I encourage you to jump at the opportunity. You will not regret it. And in reality, your experience is what you make of it and how much you take in is really up to the individual. As for me, I choose to savor every moment and to immerse myself in the cultura malagueña as much as I possibly can.

4 comments:

  1. You're title made me think whether this famous (old and, in my opinion kinda ugly,) song called "la malagueña salerosa" refers to your Málaga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us know that you are a closet photographer ;-) So I'm assuming is Sheila there with you?

    I love that you addressed the reality that it will not be a perfect trip but have still made a promise to savor the experience. I know it's going to be awesome. Six months....that is amazing! I will definitely be checking in often to see how things are going. :-)

    "This study abroad trip is like a dream come true for me." I am sooo happy to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @César - haha...I'll have to check out that song.

    @Danielle, yes Sheila (my camera) is here with me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Danielle's friend Mark (who lived in Malaga all of last year, actually!) I'm glad you're off to a good start and enjoying things and the city. I just freaked out because one of your pictures (the one of the Dunkin Coffee), is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the apartment I lived in for the first 5 months. I used to hang out there when I needed a little dose of America to get through the day.

    If you want any advice on anything to do or see, or want someone to complain to if life in Spain ever gets UGGH!! (or AYYYYY!!!), then I'm here for you. :-)

    Have a great time! You're going to love it.

    ReplyDelete