Sunday, March 14, 2010

¡Mama Mia! - Madrid

Who says reruns are boring? Well, I took my second trip to Madrid this weekend and it was anything but boring. I got to see a lot of Madrid back in 2006 while I was studying in Spain. However, there was much more to see, so I jumped at the opportunity to go back. A friend of mine wanted to go to visit a business college there and asked me to go with her. What can I say, I have a weakness for traveling…I just can’t say no.

When I got there, I found out that my old roommate from the residence, Liza (who left Málaga a few weeks prior) was spending a few days in Madrid before going back home to Argentina. We met up with her and the three of us went to check out the Botanical Gardens. Ok, bad idea, since that day was super cold! Everything looked dead :/ Oh well. I still enjoyed what was still alive.

The three of us then split up once my friend had to leave to go to her school visit. I was actually excited to venture out on my own. Camera? CHECK...City Map? CHECK. Ok, I was ready.  First, I headed to the Casa/Museo de Lope de Vega, but I missed the last tour of the day so I had to come back the following day. No prob. I then decided to stroll through the Barrio de los eruditos (the neighborhood where all the intellectuals lived). I think that was one of the things I enjoyed most. I actually felt sort of honored to be walking in the very area where all the famous poets and writers (like Cervantes) lived and spent their time. There is even this one street where they have famous quotes from some authors engraved right into the street. How exciting! I know, I’m such a nerd J

I left the barrio and made my way to the Royal Palace. On the way there I passed through the Plaza Mayor. It was filled with people eating, walking and having a good time. I had been there before so this time I just passed through. Using my map, I found my way to the Royal Palace. Sure, I got lost a few times, but I think that in those moments, I took my best pictures of the most unexpected things. As I was walking I kept looking around and taking in the sights. There was so much to see that I never got bored. And in Madrid it is almost as if every single building (even if it's a McDonalds) is so beautiful and elegant. Once at the palace I was happy. Man, the palace was gorgeous!! Out front kind of reminded me of Buckingham palace, with the gate and courtyard. I took a couple of pics and then went to sit down on a bench in a small plaza right in front of it so I could contemplate the beauty all around me.

All was going well up until that point. The entire day I’d been navigating with my map, but when I sat down, I realized that I’d lost it. Oh no! Ok, no “biggie.” I was supposed to meed Liza back at the Plaza Mayor at 4:00pm and I only had 30 minutes to find my way back. On top of that it was freezing that day and I was not wearing proper shoes. My feet were frozen! Ouch! So much so that I couldn’t feel the soles of my feet. I wabbled around trying to figure out where I was (of course, still enjoying the scenery). I love taking pictures and I think that I subconsciously walk around searching for the perfect black and white picture. After wandering for a bit, content in my ignorance of where I was, I soon found myself in the Plaza de España. After a round of photos,  I approached two police officers whom I asked for directions and who told me where I could get another map. I eventually found my way back to the Plaza Mayor, the only thing is that by the time I got there, Liza had already left L Oh well.

Later that night after a good nap, my friend and I got ready to go out to a nice dinner. Luckily, right when we were heading out the door, Liza called us. So the three of us were able to go to dinner together. Technically, since that was the last time I was going to see Liza, it was sort of "goodbye dinner." Eventhough we had only been rommates for about a month, we grew really close, so I was sad to see her go. We didn't want the evening to end, so we ended up going out to a club to check out the night life in Madrid. We went to Club Joy - it was super fun.

The next day I was finally able to go to Casa de Lope de Vega, which was the highlight of my day. I couldn't believe that I was there. I was in the actual place where he wrote some of his greatest works. It was amazing. I learned a lot that I didn't know about Lope himself and about life in Madrid during his lifetime. 

That second day was also a picture day. I also walked up and down the paseo del Prado, which I just ate up.  I didn't go to the Prado museum because I had had already gone back in 2006. Instead, I looked for places like the Real Academia de Las Letras (which controls the norms for the Spanish language). We ended our day with a trip to the Cathedral and then we later went to see the play Te quiero, eres perfecto, ya te cambiaré (I love you, you´re perfect, now change), which I really enjoyed.
This trip was definitely very touristy. But Madrid is so special to me. Madrid was actually the first city in Spain that I ever visited and I fell in love with it instantly. It is definitely a place where I can envision myself living. You name it and Madrid has it - culture, art, history, atmosphere etc. I secretly wish I could take Madrid and put it exactly where Málaga is now (shh! Don't tell anyone). Regardless, I enjoyed my time there and I can't wait to go back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment